Monday 30 August 2010

A tight fit

Photobucket
Friday was an important day in my fashion year - the first opaque tight of the new season.
It's time. The weather's chillier, the wind's brisker and, frankly, I wanted to give this dress its inaugural outing.
I'm very fussy about black tights. I have not, and I fear never will, jumped on the 20-denier trend that's started sweeping the legs of London's fashion forward. It's just too eighties, too sheer and far too reminiscent of my mother's legs to work for me. Even Topshops's polka dot numbers couldn't tempt me from the very dark side.
I need opaque tights to be 90 denier and higher. My 120 deniers, seen above, are my prized A/W possession, and I have about 4 pairs. So here I offer some words of opaque advice.
Oasis: Don't bother unless you like them very low slung. They fall down throughout the day, leading you to do the tight wriggle, wrestling them up to your hips. Likewise, Primark. In fact, these once got me so angry I pulled a big hole in a pair.
Topshop's are pricey but worth it - trying to find a large pair is like searching for a needle in a haystack, but they're worth the search.
As ever, Marks and Spencer is reliable, as long as you can track the 90s down... they go fast. And my personal faves are ASOS, though get 'em while you can. The 120s sell out FAST.

Dress - Primark// Tights - ASOS// Boots - ASOS// Watch - Michael Kors

3 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to tight season I srtggle to get the right size Cupcakes clothes did a blog on tights http://cupcakesclothes.blogspot.com/2010/08/we-love-colours.html
    I'm having a sale check it out
    http://loveyourlumps.blogspot.com/
    Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like New Look's, they're nice and black!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recommendations. I actually really like primark's. Some of the pairs I've had for about 2 years with no problems, but some do ladder easily. :)

    ReplyDelete

Make my day...